Construction Estimator and Scheduler
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
The Estimator/Scheduler will be a fully competent estimator and scheduler in all conventional aspects of estimating and scheduling field craft construction projects. Plans and conducts work requiring judgment, independent evaluation, selection and significant adaptation and deviation from standard techniques and procedures. Independently performs most assignments. Receives technical guidance only on very unusual or complex problems. Plans work for self and others to meet deadlines without supervisory action. As a cost expert, he/she plans, schedules and completes estimates under minimal supervision
Essential Job Functions:
- Reviews customers' specifications for content, to determine if there is sufficient acceptable detail for estimating specific items.
- Review proposal specifications and drawings and attend pre-bid meetings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Prepare estimates by calculating various statistical data such as quantity take-offs, material price lists, labor costs per man-hour and equipment costs and applying to complete scope of work.
- Review/research historical data (purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc.) and compile summary reports to develop guidelines and precedence for future estimates.
- Incorporate historical data into unit and man-hour figures.
- Participate in developing bid package estimate documents.
- Maintain files of working documents for back-up to estimating figures including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc.
- Initiates a systematic file for storage of all job-related hardcopies.
- Interprets proposal drawings and proposal information as a basis for determining cost.
- Corresponds with various departments requesting additional information required to complete the estimate and set the project schedule.
- Advises Proposal Manager of any discrepancies or additional information required to complete the estimate.
- Reviews the estimate with management for scope, completeness, sourcing, conformity, and accuracy.
- Prepares information required for management presentation.
- Participates in project kickoff meetings. Prepares Point of Sale Estimate, Base Award and assists Project Controls to issue project budget.
- Develop logically linked resource-loaded schedules from proposal documents, contract documents and estimate sheets. Attention to detail including critical path analysis, constructability, resource leveling and status reporting will be required.
- Interface with various internal and external stakeholders on planning and scheduling related items and functions including reporting requirements, progress reporting, etc.
- Develop and implement scheduling guidelines.
- High level of intellectual ability. Shares expertise with others.
- Displays willingness to make decisions. Makes timely decisions.
- Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Communicates changes effectively.
- Remains open to others' ideas, adapts to changes in work environment.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Supports everyone's effort to succeed.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction. Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks.
Education and Experience Requirements:
4 years at a technical/engineering college; extensive work experience in lieu of degree accepted. Basic knowledge of estimating principle and practices accompanied by a developing knowledge of boiler technology in general. Knowledge of techniques for material take-offs, labor estimates and budget allocations. Knowledge of scheduling large scale industrial construction projects. Computer literate in spreadsheets and word processing 10 or more years experience.
Must be familiar with Primavera and Microsoft Project scheduling software.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.